Sunday, 21 October 2012

Gertie's Sweetheat Sundress in Gingham

I managed! The dress turned out not too bad indeed, in fact I'm quite happy with the result! As always I sewed a seam only minutes before I rushed out the door, and as for now, the dress is only lined in the top. I'm afraid the seam allowances in the waist will suffer from yet another layer, as the pleats make the seam in the waist rather thick. 

I shortened the waist with 1.5 cm, and due to my swayed back, I shortened the back piece 1 cm in the centre back, and evened out to the side seams. I also took in 1 cm on front/back piece under the arm and evened out to the waist. The bias band was too wide in my opinion, so I shortened the height with maximum 2 cm towards centre back. 

I made a faux button placket from increased seam allowance on the back pieces, and when I attached the skirt I just made a fold and top-stitched. The zipper was therefore moved from centre back to the left side seam, and I inserted it with lapped technique.

The pattern is very easy to work with, however, I'm a bit surprised by the sizing. According to the size chart, I'm closer to a size 10 (39"/32"/41") in bust/waist, but when I compare the adjusted pattern pieces with the original pattern, I'm closer to a size 8. A possibility is, of course, that the pattern have taken boning into account, and therefore extra width to the pattern is added. 



~~~*~~~UPDATE~~~*~~~
Yay! On the front page of BurdaStyle!

10 comments:

Sue said...

looks so cute! I love the buttons and the way the bodice looks is very striking. :)

Kestrel said...

So lovely, has a great vintage look.

Neeno said...

Wow that's a lovely dress and I really like how the checks match up at the centre bust, almost like heart shaped :)

Marlise said...

Very nice dress! I especially love the buttons in the back!

Zoe said...

LOVE it!!!!! The red buttons at the back are such a beautiful extra touch. Great work lady xxx

frk.bustad said...

Thank you all!! I'm very glad I added the button, because they make the dress a tad more special...

Neeno: I totally agree with the checks matching up, which was a "pure" coincidence other than matching the grain line in a way so the centre front would be at the same place for both fabric pieces.

Jane said...

It's beautiful, I love the buttons and the red contrast straps. x

Stephanie said...

I love this dress! It's super cute and, as all of your dresses do, this also fits you really well

Jane H. Johansen @veganmisjonen said...

Wow! So cute!
Nydelig snitt og liker veldig godt de røde knappene og at det ser ut som et hjerte over brystet der.

Trixie Lixie said...

Tis looks fab! I had Gerties book for Christmas and can't wait to make something out of it!