Tuesday, 28 August 2012

The summer holiday dress

We spent two weeks in southern France and Barcelona this summer, and before we left I realized that I didn't have any suitable summer dresses. Again working with a deadline, as I started this a week before we left - the same week we started moving to our new flat. Not surprisingly, I mange to finish it, but left the hem overlocked instead of properly hemmed, and parts of the lining isn't (still) properly attached. A 'frk.bustad' label is also missing.

I spent some time fitting the bust piece, as I realized that the self drafted pattern has some excess fabric above the bust area. Also, drawing the curve freehand didn't really work, so I did some alterations after the bust piece was sewn together. I drafted the collar after the bust piece was more or less finished, and sandwiched it between the front fabric and the cotton lining.

The skirt is based on a 1/2 circle skirt, but as the back piece is 5 cm shorter than the front piece (a result of sway back adjustment of the back), I drafted two circles that would fit the waistline. The sway back adjustment should be a chapter on its own. The dress looks rather funny when it lays flat, with an extremely curved back waistline. However, when I wear the dress, the waistline come out all even on both front and back. My conclusion is that my dresses should always have a waist seam opening up for alterations.

7 comments:

Zoe said...

LOVE THIS DRESS!!!!! It's a total stunner. I love those type of collars, keep planning on making something with that style. It'll have to wait until next Spring now I think. Do you plan to make more of these? You could have lots of fun with different fabric/colour combinations xxx

frk.bustad said...

Thanks, Zoe! It's a nice shape, I agree, and I started thinking of all the possibilities after reading your comment, actually! I have had the style in mind for ages, and than wham! with a deadline I managed to sew it up. Now I keep making up dresses in my head, with this dress as a basis. I'm thinking gingham...

Stephanie said...

This is a lovely dress and it fits you so well! You should really make up more versions of this pattern

Signe said...

Flinke Helene! Skjønner ikke hvordan du får tid til alt du lager... Og kjempefin hatt! :-)

wardrobeexperience said...

lovely dress, hat and bag ... you look gorgeous.

http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

Froding said...

Snygg hatt!

Ms.Mac said...

Love this dress! Nice work!