Friday, 7 October 2011

The (belated) thirtieth birthday dress

 
So. I'm getting close to thirty and a half now, but it's never too late to share a nice dress, is it? I made this dress (and a matching tie for mr.Jon) on deadline margins, the week before I celebrated my birthday. The dress was finished the morning of the party, and I added the extra sarongish front with the gathered fabric flower some weeks later, so I would have time to finish the tie. And what a tie! I also managed to bake about 100 cupcakes for the party! There has to be cupcakes for birthdays

The dress is yet another one from self-drafted pattern with the sweetheart neckline. I bought the fabric in London last year, and I decided that I wanted a Hawaiian-style dress. What wasn't better than throwing a Hawaiian-themed birthday? I got no less than three pineapples that day and an extremely tasty pineapple cocktail... I used the same pattern as for my Back to Beat dress, and nip-tucked it a little when it was mostly sown together (no muslin there... I was in a hurry!). The dress is made from two pattern pieces with facings (three if you include the front sarongish part), without lining (yes, I regret) with the zipper in the side seam, lapped and prick-stitched.

The dress is a lot of fun to wear, and I really like the shape. Next up is a plain black version suitable for everyday use with a cardigan. With weather like this (see below...) coming up for the winter, it's nice to have dresses to wear at work: It's comfortable and easy to change into after walking 30 minutes in rainwear to and from work.

6 comments:

Rosy said...

Happy belated birthday! You are wonderful in that dress, love the fabric, neckline, absolutely everything! Looks like you had a great birthday party, Wow! one hundred cakes!

maelis said...

happy belated birthday from me too!
you look wonderful in that dress :)

frk.bustad said...

Thank you both! The dress really feels great to wear!

LilleLeo said...

A really nice dress. It looks really good on you!

Miss Lindy Lee said...

Kjempefin! Liker stoffet veldig. Og gratulere med dagen som var!

Stephanie said...

The dress looks great on you! I love the print and I'm always a fan of sweet heart necklines. Happy belated thirtieth!