Wednesday, 7 September 2011

There's so many books

Getting lost at Amazon is always fun, and luckily they have wish lists so it's possible to find back to books that I would want to have in my shelf. The local bookshops and library does not have great collections of sewing/fashion books, and unfortunately I can't buy all the books I would like to. Here's some from my wish list (parents and siblings: Christmas is not that far away...)

The Colette Sewing Handbook looks very promising, and although it says for the new seamstress, I would like to have a look in this book. I have never tried Colette Patterns myself, but so many other seamstresses has, like the Beignet skirt from Kelly Learns to Sew, Needles, Thread and Love gorgeous Ceylon dress, and The Sencha blouse done by One Rainy Afternoon by Zoe (oh, and I love her pencil skirt!). The patterns are all on my to-do list.

The BurdaStyle book has been a hush-hush project, and I don't remember hearing about it since the starting-up a year ago. From what I read on Amazon, it'll be published January next year. BurdaStyle is the largest online sewing community, and in this book BurdaStyle members contribute with projects. It's a great way to include the community in their work. I look forward to see the result!

What seamstress doesn't want a book that is both a history book and a book with vintage-inspired projects? Sew Retro: Simple Vintage-inspired Projects for the Modern Girl and a Stylish History of the Sewing Revolution promise to be such a book. The customer's reviews are not solely positive, but I really like the idea of combining historical and cultural aspects of sewing, in addition to practical projects. Imagine having a similar book with focus on the 40s to 60s.... Hm, come to think of it, that's what I'm expecting from Gertie's book. That is so exciting! 

How to Use, Adapt and Design Sewing Patterns: From Shop-bought Patterns to Drafting Your Own: A Complete Guide to Fashion Sewing with Confidence is a book that caught my attention as it seems to cover both adjustment of commercial patterns and pattern construction. As you probably know, I'm mostly using my own self-drafted patterns, having failed so many times with commercial patterns and fearing them in case of disappointment and yet another flop. Does anyone know this book?

Talking about books, there's always a dress on my mind... Check out this beauty from Dollydagger! This one I know is on my wish list, but wouldn't it also look great and less formal in a non-shiny fabric? And it sure somehow look like Retro Butterick 4790, a pattern I've always liked. I do have some deadlines coming up, and need a new dress, don't I?

3 comments:

..\mamma said...

Would look great on you! Less shiny and maybe in somethging greenish this time?

Gunvor Rasmussen said...

whooo, stilig med de knappene, naijs!

Rosy said...

Adorable! They are adorable! But I'm dying to Sew Retro and Burda Style. Thanks for all that information!