Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Deadline exceeded with only 30 minutes!

 
I've been playing with Photoshop and DeviantArt.com. The above picture is generated with the Photoshop action HolgaRoid GENERATOR V1.0 COLOR by RawImage.

Deadlines make me sew! And luckily my friends didn't mind me being 30 minutes late for our appointment, seeing how happy I was with my result. We twisted, shouted, hopped, skipped and jumped all night long.
The dress was surprisingly easy to make, and I guess that's the joyful result of having a basic block that is nearly perfect! I altered the pattern from my basic block and was a clever girl and made a toile, just to make sure the pattern would work at all. The fabric is slightly stretchy, so the dress turned out a little too big at first. I did it the easy way, and just pinned the side seams, and adjusted the seams. The dress is still a little roomy around the waist, and together with the stretchy fabric it turned out that I could skip the zip! It feels like cheating! The drawback is that it won't look good with the intended belt I was going to make, but I will sure make a second dress in a different material requiring a zip, and then the waistline may be tighter also.
A close-up of the front darts and a picture true to fabric pattern and colour:
So for the time being, I'll leave the dress with roomy waist - so I can hop, skip and jump, twist and shout, and eat. Next up is a matching bolero. Something like Burda8153. Any other suggestions?

Conclusions:
  • I need deadlines and events to finish projects, or even just to start new projects.
  • I need, NEED a proper steam iron! From just ironing the darts and facings to steaming them with a wet blanket, the dress transformed! Does any of you seamstresses have experience with domestic steam irons? I long for one of the types we had at the fashion course, but I bet they'll be too expensive for my humble production.

13 comments:

Cecili said...

That dress is gorgeous! I love the print and the sweetheart necklace, but I'm really surprised that you can put it without unzipping it, it looks so fitted! Anyway, beautiful job :)

Miss Margarita said...

Åh, så fin! :D
Håper jeg en dag blir like flink å sy som deg!

Syns den boleroen passer fint jeg, kommer ikke på noen bedre forslag i farta!

Rakel said...

Den kjolen var kjempefin, du gir meg inspirasjon til å lære å sy enda mer enn hva jeg allerede gjør! :)

Lizzy said...

Great job! I like the color!

Darci said...

Amazing dress! You're totally rockin' it.

Found you by way of "Sewn". Adding you to the blogroll!

Ashley said...

This is wonderful, how pretty! Amazing job!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

What a stunning dress. You did a great job matching up the the plaid pattern.

frk.bustad said...

Thanks, ladies!

Cecili: I'm very surprised as well. It is a little tight over the shoulders when pulling it on, but I don't think inserting a zip will be necessary.

Miss Margarita & Rakel: Øving gjør mester... Jeg har sydd aktivt i 10 år og tatt mange kurs. Det som skal sies er likevel at å ha et godt tilpasset grunnmønster gjør underverker, for selve kjolen er veldig enkel å sy!

Stephanie said...

Lovely dress! It fits you so well.

Chanda said...

Amazing seamstress AND biochemist?! I'm in awe.

FruBendiksen said...

I love those darts, looks really flattering! Gorgeous fabric as well. Might a knitted bolero not be fitting? A little black angora thingy manybe?

emily said...

This is lovely - looks like you need to set yourself more deadlines in the future ;-) x

Holly Young said...

YOU LOOK ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!