Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Yet another dress!

I just can't get enough dresses, and I love the 3/4 circle skirt and I love having pockets in them. I've found a pattern I've been looking for a long time, and was very happy to find this New Look 6699. It's a very versatile pattern, with nine bodice options, two waist and two skirt options! Now for those of you liking probability, that's a total of 36 different dress options! Correct me if I'm wrong; I always liked statistics better. Anyhow I constructed a new skirt piece to get the 3/4 circle, and added side pockets. Next time I use this pattern (and there will be a next time), I will cut away some of the front forming the “tuck” to make this a little smaller. There is too much fabric in the front loop now, and I didn’t manage to tuck it properly. I would also like to experiment with pleats or darts instead of just tucks.

The dress was meant to be a more or less everyday dress, to be used with a cardigan, but the gorgeous, shiny cotton sateen makes this more formal. Still love it though, and for once I put lining in. I guess that also adds up with the formal feeling. I'm enjoying my serrated shears, and I think I've befriended linings. 


14 comments:

Lizzy said...

Very good idea you had when you bought that pattern!! besides the price is not expensive for all the dresses you can make. You can make a lot of combinations, all depends in the kind of fabric you use, if you use a poplin you will have a perfect everyday dress or if you use a satin you will have aperfec dress for a wedding or some formal party.
I also buy a lot in sewingpatterns.com as downloads, even if I have to print and then glue it I like to buy them.
Good job!

frk.bustad said...

Thanks Lizzy! Poplin is a great idea! I love the sound of ruffling poplin, but yet that will be perfect for an everyday dress!

I have to say I hate all the gluing with those patterns, but it's convenient not having to wait for it in the post...

[patty the snug bug] said...

This is adorable! I altered Vogue 2902 to death to get a similiar look. I'm intrigued by drafting a 3/4 skirt - there's so much fabric in a full circle! But I'm afraid of the math - is that how you do it?? Or is there some easier way that does not involve geometry??

Miss Margarita said...

Fantastisk flott denne kjolen også! Kjempestilig med rød fór. Fortsett å vis frem det du lager, jeg blir inspirert! :)

Cecili said...

Ohlala that dress is a beauty! The fit is great and you look so good in it!

frk.bustad said...

Patty: Well, math is a part of constructing a circle skirt, but rather than reading 'radius' you should read waistline... I made it based on Make your own patterns from René Bergh, but I'll share if I can find (or make) tutorial online!

Miss Margarita: Så lenge de fine kommentarene strømmer på, så fortsetter jeg... jeg blir inspirert av å inspirere! Takk :)

Tilly said...

Stunning! Love the lining.

LilleLeo said...

Nydelig, nydelig. Herlig snitt!

Jacki said...

This dress is fantastic and it looks amazing on you. The red lining is tres chic!

Signe said...

Superfin! :-)

stephanie said...

This dress is really beautiful! Love the red lining. Very glamorous.

verityclothing said...

This is gorgeous, and I really like the red lining. It has a great fit and you look fabulous. Great job!

FruBendiksen said...

You did it again, honey! But what about some colour next? All those black dresses can make you gloomy in the winter ;-) And that wa can't have!!

Miss Margarita said...

Hei, jeg postet akkurat videre en blog award på min blogg til deg! :)
http://missmargaritas.blogspot.com/2010/12/these-are-few-of-my-favorite-thingsand.html