Monday, 6 September 2010

Ellen is a lucky girl!

I made a slip of the tongue, and promised Ellen I'd sew another dress for her. That was maybe half a year ago, and suddenly the wedding she was going to attend came really close... So I convinced her that the dress she already has is a very good fit on her, but this time we'd make a longer and wider skirt . So in two weeks (having it really busy at the lab as well) I finished this dress for her.

I did two fittings, and since she's quite short, I shortened the front pieces with 4cm. By doing so, I kept the curve from the halterneck, and the curves around the arms became very flattering. By having more than enough fabrics and having bought serrated shears, cutting the polyester micro satin and the acetate lining from Stoff&Stil was a lot easier than expected.

I love this pattern, neue mode/stil (S23127), because it is quite easy and Ellen looks so gorgeous.  I skipped the gap on the front pieces though, to make it a little bit more decent.Unfortunately, I get headaches from wearing halternecks, so I would had to do some compromises if I were to make this dress for my self. Too bad, because I felt so elegant 'trying' it on (Ellen is tiny, so I could only slip the halterneck over my head, pretending I was wearing it...). Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a dress like this, but avoiding the halterneck? Full covered back or crossed back pieces?

5 comments:

Lizzy said...

You did a great job!! and she looks great on that dress, I love the color.

Cecili said...

What a beautiful dress, your friend is lucky indeed! Regarding your halterneck problem, I simply use a "regular" back ie a piece that goes up my neck, or ir f I keep the back piece low cut I add large, crossed straps. I've planned making such an adaptation for a halterneck top, I'll show you when it's finished!

stephanie said...

What a lucky friend! That's a beautiful dress. I don't like wearing halternecks either. I would just turn them into normal straps in the back.

FruBendiksen said...

Best regards to the beautiful model! And a great dress, maybe it should be on my wish-list? ;-)

LilleLeo said...

This is a very beautiful dress, no doubt about it!