Tuesday, 7 September 2010

Buttons? I'll give you buttons!

I've just come back from a work-related conference in Istanbul, and didn't expect to buy anything sewing-related. I didn't even do any research for possible sewing areas or shops. This was a business travel with a tight schedule, and I didn't think I'd see anything else than the Hagia Sophia and The Blue Mosque on an organized sightseeing. I was wrong! Really wrong! By pure chance we walked around an area around the Spice Bazaar (I think the name of the street is something like Vasif Cinar Caddesi, but I'm not sure) and suddenly plenty of fabric shops and shops dedicated to buttons popped up! I told my colleagues that I just had to go into this one having a very tempting façade and windows... I got the card, and think the shop is called Has-Er Tyuhafiye. The very polite, young gentleman behind the counter told me that this was all wholesale, but when he told me the price of a box with 60 buttons, I tried not to laugh: It was ridiculously cheap! I looked around at the ground floor and didn't see any red buttons, and asked him whether they had something like this and that, and he said: Next floor, madam, we have more upstairs. It turned out that there were 4 floors altogether! I didn't dare check out the topmost floor, because this was apparently a floor with other sewing stuff than buttons... I planned to go back one of the other days, but didn't have time. I'm glad I at least bought these:

The sad thing is of course coming home with plain, black buttons, but I also bought these, having my planned red trenchcoat in my mind: 

I just love the boxes they come in:


6 comments:

Karin van D. said...

Oh my. I can imagine you could spend a week in there and not be bored :-D Love the red buttons!

Zoe said...

My god, I could have spent a whole day in that shop! I think your choices were fantastic, the red ones are incredible, and the black ones are really nice and will prove very useful, I'm sure! xxx

Tilly said...

What a find! Great that you got the red ones for your coat, and very sensible of you to stock up on black ones.

FruBendiksen said...

This must be button heaven!! I can imagine your delighted face walking around gasping at the grnadness of the store!

Fleur said...

OOh that would be heaven! what an amazing find. I am now definately adding Istanbul onto my next 5 travel destinations!

LilleLeo said...

Ooh, the red buttons are delish!